“Why Christian education?” This is a question that we need to ask and answer again and again. You and I sacrifice to send our children to a school that forthrightly exalts Jesus Christ as Lord. Here at the beginning of a new year, it is good to be reminded that we are doing so for excellent reasons. So in that spirit, here are “10 Big Ideas to Consider” from the website discoverchristianschools.com that are great reminders of just how important it is to commit ourselves to providing our children with a Christ-centered education.
1. There are basically two kingdoms: a kingdom of light and a kingdom of darkness. It seems strange to have those who walk in darkness educate children of light. It doesn’t fit.
2. If Jesus Christ is Lord, then He is Lord of all. We cannot divide things into secular and sacred.
3. All truth is God’s truth, and God’s Word sheds light on our path. Only in His light can we see light. Education is not focused on possibilities but on certainties found in God’s Word.
4. Deuteronomy 6 tells parents that, in all they do, they should provide a godly education 24/7.
5. Three key institutions that shape a child are the home, the church and the school. Children are served best when all three institutions point them in the same direction.
6. Only an education that has the liberty to address the whole child — social, intellectual, emotional, physical AND spiritual — reaches the possibility of excellence.
7. The best preparation for effective service is to be well grounded in one’s mind before direct engagement of the culture.